- The joint statement was signed by the United States, France, Great Britain, Estonia, Ireland, Norway and Albania, which will soon become a non-permanent member of the Security Council.
- “International organizations must be allowed immediate and unimpeded access to migrants so that they can provide them with humanitarian assistance” – document reads
- “We affirm that all actions must be based on core values, in particular with regard to the human rights of migrants,” the signatories wrote
- According to the Russians, European countries have “masochistic tendencies”, because “to raise this topic, which is a complete disgrace to the European Union, is too bold”
- More information can be found on the Onet homepage
In a joint statement, members of the US Security Council, France, Great Britain, Estonia, Ireland, Norway and Albania, which will soon become a non-permanent member of the council, emphasized that Belarus for political reasonsIt threatens the life and well-being of migrants gathered at the border.
They also stated that Belarus’ goal is to “destabilize its neighboring countries” and “distract attention from its increasingly frequent violations of human rights.”
We call on the Belarusian authorities to put an end to these inhuman activities and endangerment of people. International organizations must be allowed immediate and unfettered access to migrants so that they can provide them with humanitarian assistance,” the document states.
Countries that condemn Belarus show their solidarity with Poland and Lithuania. They are ready to start a discussion about how to support them. At the same time, they consider it desirable to impose sanctions against those who support the actions of the Belarusian regime that facilitate the illegal crossing of the border with the European Union.
“We remain united and determined to protect the European Union from the hybrid operations of the Belarusian authorities. (…) We express our deep concern about the appalling situation of the migrants and call on the Belarusian authorities to provide them with adequate protection and care,” the document states.
The United States, France, Great Britain, Estonia, Ireland and Norway affirmed in the press release following the UN Security Council meeting, “We affirm that all actions must be based on core values, particularly with regard to the human rights of migrants.”
The Russians are protesting. “masochistic tendencies”
Even before the start of a debate on Thursday in the Security Council, Russia’s deputy permanent representative to the United Nations, Dmitry Polansky, attributed masochistic tendencies to Belarus’ critics, because – he said – they started a discussion about a problem that was a source of shame on them and Reuters noted.
Polansky argued in an interview with journalists – they have some masochistic inclinations, because it is too bold to raise this topic, and it is a complete shame for the European Union. He added that the West is responsible for the situation in the countries in which it intends to introduce democracy, and that it has led to another wave of refugees.
As Reuters confirms, the diplomat denied that Russia or Belarus had helped move the migrants to the Polish border. Meanwhile, he said that not all problems should be resolved by the Security Council.
“Proud creator. Amateur music junkie. Tv scholar. Web fan. Lifelong alcohol lover. Falls down a lot. Hardcore thinker.”