Simple elements arranged horizontally is an idea that has recently become very fashionable on fences. These geometric extensions with clear horizontal lines are associated with modernity and are often installed next to newly built homes. However, fences made of vertical sections do not give up and do not expire. This traditional and universal solution takes on somewhat different decorative forms. So what do you choose?
Before we decide on a specific fence style, let’s think about the effect we want to achieve. A well-chosen fence for the house is a photo frame. They can subtly fit into their context, remain almost imperceptible, emphasize the values and characteristics of a particular style, or even catch the eye and be an obvious ornament. The fence can also tell us a lot about the property owners – whether they focus on economy and simplicity, or, on the contrary, love splendor and pronounced decorative accents, openness to the surrounding space, or rather separate themselves from the outside, follow the latest trends or adhere to the traditions .
Take a look at your house from a distance
The arrangement of the elements on the fence and their mutual arrangement largely determine their appearance. Wide crossbars arranged horizontally, densely stacked vertical bars, or curved sections forming openwork patterns? Each of the extensions, although made of the same material and the same color, will have a completely different feel. So what suits them?
– When choosing a specific model of fencing, customers usually first follow their own taste, that is, what they like visually – says Agnieszka Gierszewska of Plast-Met Centrum Systemy Ogrodzacyjne. – No wonder. It is only natural that we strive to make the space we create for ourselves enjoyable and in keeping with our preferences. However, we must remember not to consider the fence in isolation from the context. The fact that we consider a model attractive does not mean that it will look good in a certain space. The building should be the main reference.
The specialist advises to carefully examine the shape of the house and the finish of the facade. Note which fonts are dominant. If we are dealing with a low spreading one-story building with a flat roof or a horizontal arrangement of panels on the facade, then the horizontal fence will be exactly the same as this picture. On the other hand, a clear vertical arrangement, defined by glazing or a sloping roof line, will harmonize with the vertically arranged extensions.
– It is worth paying attention to the details that can become the dominant idea – suggests an expert from Plast-Met. – The pattern of balcony railing or balustrade at the entrance staircase, repeated on the fence, will be a point above the letter “i” to arrange the entire space.
Traditionally or in line with trends?
Can the vertical and horizontal layout be customized for specific architectural styles?
– Until recently, vertical fences dominated the landscape, regardless of whether they were made of metal bars or wooden bars – says Agnieszka Gierszewska. – But for some time, horizontal barriers have been installed in our homes, the popularity of which is constantly growing. Currently, our best-selling models are definitely the modern front fences with a horizontal design. The leaders are malachite and travertine, that is, patterns with flat and wide cross bars with smaller or larger openings.
The fashion for horizontal fences is directly related to the apparent introduction of modern construction into the architecture of single-family homes, drawing styles from early 20th century modernism. Simple geometric shapes of buildings with flat roofs are gaining more and more supporters. Similar to the so-called modern barn. Modern horizontal fences fit perfectly into this type of architectural direction.
– Vertical fences are associated with traditional architecture – says Plast-Met Centrum Systemy Ogrodzacyjne specialist. – They are chosen by both owners of typical Polish houses with a sloping roof, as well as lovers of the history of mansions or classic mansions. Remember, however, that this type of fence can have many faces. Among the extensions with a horizontal arrangement we can find models that match the properties that are preserved in a traditional and modern style.
Safe for children and pets
Let’s not forget, however, that the fence is a functional element of our scheme in the first place. So, will the choice of vertical or horizontal layout have an impact on the practicalities?
– Vertical and horizontal fences can be functional and perfectly fulfill their role – says the specialist. – Every model is available in our complete system, including not only the extensions, but also the comfortable wicket, as well as double and sliding gates. Regardless of the design, they are designed to be durable and stable. Patterns with densely stacked horizontal beams can act like a sail and are more susceptible to wind pressure. Therefore, it must be taken into account when choosing motors that move the gate leafs.
One of the primary functions of the fence is to provide residents with a sense of security. How do horizontal and vertical models work in this regard?
Newseria is not responsible for the content and other materials (such as infographics and images) available in the Press Office, and their authors are registered users such as public relations agencies, corporations or state institutions.
“Music specialist. Pop culture trailblazer. Problem solver. Internet advocate.”