a. Academy of Fine Arts in Gdask Mariusz Waras is a street art artist, graphic artist and designer known mainly from the m-city project, that is, frescoes on the walls of buildings in urban spaces. in the picture. During the show (w, 0, 0, w) Stefan Kornacki’s Speedway League COVID-19, for which he was a curator.
Photo: Anna Rzulac/KFP
Marius Waras – Professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdask, muralist and artist working at the Gdask shipyard, was among five people removed from the list of members WL4 Space of Art Association. Last year, this decision was made in relation to two other people. – In total, our seven made up 50 percent. The original founders of the association, five of us served as members of the board of directors or the audit committee – confirms the professor. And Ras in a statement posted on social networking sites.
Tri-City Fairs – Events Calendar
WL4 is a group of independent artists not affiliated with any organization for which art is the overriding value. It consists of artists with different experiences and achievements working in different artistic fields.
Milky Piotr – An artist friendly place?
From 2018, the works of artists belonging to the WL4 group are displayed in the interiors of the Mlishni Pewter at the Imperial Shipyard in Gdansk.
– The space at our disposal and the green belt next to the new Motlawa promenade offer us an opportunity to create an open-air gallery of sculptures and objects also visible to yachts and ships entering the Gdask marina – we read on WL4.
Co-founder and active member of the WL4 Association Przestrzeń Sztuki was Professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdask Marius Warras. The artist, by decision of the Board of Directors of the WL4 Association Przestrzeń Sztuki, chaired by Adriana Majdzińska and the general meeting of members, was disqualified from membership last Saturday. And Rass, in a statement posted on Facebook, confirmed that he did not agree with the content of the charges that led to his expulsion.
– The association informed me of the removal of the self-built studio, in a building acquired in order to provide a creative workplace for artists – thanks in large part to my personal commitment, contacts, and measurable expenditures of time, labor and costs – we read in the professor’s statement. Marius Warras On social media.
Murals of Marius and Aras as instructions for Ukraine
Mleczny Piotr is a building located on the site of the former imperial shipyard, currently owned by the Belgian company Edonia. Artists working under the WL4 banner, who had to leave their workplaces in the building at ul. Wiosny Ludów 4, they reached an agreement with the owners and in 2018 they moved their studios there in exchange for conducting cultural activities.
Dominik Paszliński / gdansk.pl
Final in court?
The artist also stated that four other members of the association received a similar decision at the same time. Two people were also eliminated a year ago.
– In total, our seven made up 50 percent. The original founders of the association including 5 people on the board of directors or on the audit committee – confirms A. Wars.
The artist also announced that the case will be final in court.
– The decision prevents me or impedes the implementation of my planned projects, classes with students and research work at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdansk. This leads to a violation of my intellectual property and copyright rights in the field of goods prepared for the benefit of the association – explains the professor, who was expelled from the association WL4 Przestrzeń Sztuki. – First and foremost, the repeated false accusations against me of my good reputation and reputation that I have developed in artistic, academic, commercial and friendly circles. With regard to the above, I would like to inform you that the case will proceed in a legal manner.
Anita Zyjak is no longer the director of Nomos. Artists protest
Our artistic paths diverged.
Adriana Majdzińska – The president of the WL4 Space Art Association explains that the reason for the disqualification of the professor. The level of membership was the fact that their artistic paths diverged. He also adds that Prof. Waras has already found another place in the Imperial Shipyard.
– I really appreciate the professor. Marius Waras as a man and artist – it has always been this way and nothing has changed in this regard – confirms Adriana Majdzińska. – The decision to deprive him of his membership is partly due to the fact that the professor has been for a long time. Waras has moved his activities even further, to the Weather Collective. I am so glad he found a place where he could represent and present his art, and he stayed with his art at the Imperial Shipyard.
WL4 getting rid of “inappropriate” artists?
The atmosphere surrounding the WL4 Space of Art Association had been thickening for a long time. The space that was meant to be used to present art has become – our informants say – a very open space.
– This place was taken over by Chislau Bodlini and Adriana Majdinska, and began to bring their families and friends – says a person associated with WL4 for a long time (the well-known name of the editorial office). – The atmosphere of these meetings was so unpleasant that it was a shame to invite anyone into the studio. Attempts to draw attention to quarrels ended, and finally people began to look for excuses to get rid of uncomfortable performers. This is how Waras flew, and before that Magda Bella, Okasz Guala, Dominic Kolašević, Marek Loni Ribovsky, Maciej Umitansky or Daniel Sobieski.
But the president of the WL4 Association doubts the truth of these words.
– Our gallery should be an open space of equality – explains Adriana Majdzińska. A place where everyone can come straight from the street to meet artists and learn about their work. It is clear that many people pass through our facility. If it annoys someone, it means that they have a different view of the place than the foundation board.
“Music specialist. Pop culture trailblazer. Problem solver. Internet advocate.”