- Apple is holding a special event on November 10, when it is widely expected to unveil the first MacBooks to run on Apple’s silicone chip.
- The move marks a major milestone for the Mac, giving Apple a tighter control over the Mac hardware and software experience.
- It also means that all of Apple’s major products will run on the same architecture, so iPhone applications will be able to run on a Mac.
- Apple is also rumored to be working on other products such as headphones that could appear at the event.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Apple announced its plan to start making its own computer chips for the Mac product range, rather than using Intel, in June. Now, the company is holding another event as it is expected to reveal more details about the transformation – including the first laptop that will run on its new, homemade processor.
The move is expected to mark the next biggest change to Apple’s Mac computers in years, signaling a departure that will give the tech giant more control over laptops and desktops. It will also make the Mac experience more consistent with the iPhone and iPad experience since all Apple applications will run on the same architecture. This means that iPhone apps will be compatible with the Mac.
The chips, called Apple silicon, are based on the A14 Bionic processors in the iPhone 12 lineup and are expected to bring better energy efficiency as well as machine learning improvements for Apple’s notebook computers.
The Apple event – the third major product launch keynote in the past three months – will be held at 10 a.m. PDT / 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 10.
Apple has not revealed any details about what to expect, but the company has previously said it plans to announce its first Apple silicon PCs before the end of the year. Reports from Bloomberg She also notes that an Apple event in November will focus on Apple’s new silicone devices.
The revelations will also come at a critical time for the Apple Mac line, which has been one of Apple’s strongest sectors in recent quarters as people have been working from home due to the pandemic. Apple announced record high revenue for the company’s Mac unit Fourth-quarter fiscal earnings Last month.
Here’s a closer look at what to expect on Tuesday.