In Lublin, public consultation with residents on the concept of developing several streets in the city center has ended. It relates to the following streets: Szambelańska, Jana Gilasa, Przechodnia, Zielona and part of ul. Stazia.
The project developed by the city supposes the creation of the so-called woonerfs, combining the function of a street, parking lot, park and meeting areas for residents.
– The idea emerged after talks with residents, with the district council, with entrepreneurs working in the old town, Śródmieście, and in particular the corniche, so that those side streets, which are equally attractive, would be revitalized and launched, says Marek Poznaسكيski, director of Śródmieście from Lublin. – Because at the moment, outside the tourist season, this pedestrian movement is mainly limited to ul. Grodzka, Bramowa, the promenade – this is part of the car-free Krakowskie Przedmieście – and Litewski Square.
– In general, we liked this concept very much – says Michau Makowski, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Old Town District in Lublin. – At the beginning when introducing the concept of the Mujahideen. Szambelańska, we had some comments and those comments were also sent to the department that will direct them physically. If, for technical reasons, it is not possible to plant directly in the ground, then we allow certain planting in pots, but, as an advice, we suggested that the pots themselves be in the form of old barrels, for example, wine was stored by Lublin merchants.
– These are traffic calming solutions – says Marek Poznansky. – Of course, in some wonerfs, cars can enter, there is access to the property, the possibility of delivering goods to companies. However, the point is that this space has to be quieted down in terms of traffic, especially cars. There is street furniture that serves the residents, and there is more green space. In short: we salute and make way for pedestrians. This is the priority of creating such spaces. There is street furniture and green spaces. Interestingly, these spaces, changed to woonerfs in the lodge or outside, generate more pedestrians, more services appear there, and the space becomes more inviting.
– In many cases, we have requests for intervention in terms of the population – says Michai Makovsky. – Today unfortunately it is a meeting place for groups that use alcohol, and it is an illegal place to urinate. I think for potential tourists and residents it would not be a comfortable place to sit and think.
– There, we attached special importance to the middle section, which borders on such an undeveloped, undeveloped land intended for future development – says architect Maria Balauger Kantor. – There we wanted to introduce a lot of green space that would separate this ugly fence from the space where people were moving. Yesterday we received material from the Office of Climate Action, written comments and conclusions. We are currently analyzing it, but the concept will be delivered at the end of November and only then will it be available in its full and final form. However, it should be noted that this is not yet an implementation stage. These are dreams so far, reflected in the acquisition of a concept that directs your thinking in this direction.
The concept will include the choice of rooftop, greenery and type of lighting. A 3D visualization will be made for each street.
Lilac / editor. Disp
Photo sent by the press office of the Lublin Mayor’s Chancellery
“Music specialist. Pop culture trailblazer. Problem solver. Internet advocate.”