This is a brilliant recipe, which once you’ve made, I guarantee you will go on making because it’s just about the easiest and tastiest tomato recipe. It’s great as a starter or as a main course with a salad.
8 ripe tomatoes
1 x 375g fresh, ready-rolled puff pastry
Bunch of fresh basil
three cloves of garlic
1 x 125g of Mozzarella Pearls
Handful of olives (optional)
Salt and Pepper
- Unwrap the pastry and place it on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Tear basil leaves and scatter across the pastry.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes (there is no need to peel them) and arrange them on top of the basil leaves in overlapping lines.
- Slices olives (if using) and place on top of the tomatoes. Then finely chop garlic and sprinkle evenly across the tart.
- Slice Mozzarella Pearls and place on top of the tomatoes and finally garnish with torn basil leaves before drizzling with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven (175 C) on the middle shelf for 35/40 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown and the tomatoes are roasted and slightly charred at the edges.
If you are going to serve the tart warm, leave it to settle for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Mix It Up
If you like goat’s cheese, you can combine 150g soft goat’s cheese in a bowl with a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped thyme and a good seasoning of salt and freshly milled black pepper. Then using a palette knife, spread this across the base of the pastry, right to the edges, and then follow the recipe above from step 3, sprinkling chopped thyme at the end instead of basil.