- Ryabkov says that NATO cannot transfer his country to a secondary role in international politics
- He also announced that Russia does not plan to discuss the situation in Kazakhstan with the United States
- The first round of Russian-US talks is scheduled to start on Monday in Geneva
- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced on Friday that Western powers are prepared for the possibility of a breakdown in talks with Russia.
- Meanwhile, the alliance is strengthening its military capabilities along its eastern flank and declaring that it is preparing for potentially devastating economic sanctions against Russia.
- More important information can be found on Onet homepage
Ryabkov says Russia is ready to go into details Discussion in Geneva of the so-called security guarantee for Russia. He expressed his expectation that in talks with the United States it will be possible to determine the position of the United States on the three thematic blocs included in these proposals.
Then specify that what Moscow means here is: ensuring that NATO does not expand into Eastern Europe, the exclusion of the deployment of weapons, especially nuclear weapons, on the eastern side of the alliance, and the return of NATO forces to “the first place in terms of training, intelligence, infrastructure, etc. in 1997.” – says Ryabkov in an interview with Interfax.
“For us, the positive result (of the talks) will be that we will not reject the set of priorities that we have formulated, and we will be ready to continue working on it,” Ryabkov adds.
Ryabkov added in an interview that Russia does not plan to discuss the situation in Kazakhstan with the United States or the actions of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (Russian: ODKB) in that country. – What are we discussing here? What are you discussing with the Americans? This issue does not concern them at all. (…) They must understand that their attempts to see the “Moscow hand” everywhere and in everything are to be expected, are empty and there is no room for any discussion here, says Ryabkov.
The rest of the text is below the video
The first round of Russian-US talks is scheduled to start on Sunday in Geneva. In the evening, a working meeting will be held in a narrow format with the participation of US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman and Ryabkov. Then discussions will begin in greater format on Monday.
But this is not the end. In an interview with RIA, Novosti Ryabkov said that the United States is pressing for unilateral concessions from Russia. – Unfortunately, we hear speculation that Russia should do one thing, do another, take such a step or take another. We have repeatedly responded to theses formulated in this way and at all levels there can be no basis for not only agreement, but even fruitful discussion – emphasized.
Stoltenberg: NATO will be ready to act if talks with Russia fail
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Friday that Western powers are prepared for the possibility of a breakdown in talks with Russia, as well as the alliance bolstering its military capabilities along its eastern flank and preparing for potentially devastating economic sanctions if Moscow attacks Ukraine., by David Herzenhorn and Jacopo Barigazzi of Politico.
US diplomats previously announced that the United States intends in Geneva to listen to Russian proposals and present theirs to see if there is room for further discussion. However, they noted that this would only apply to bilateral issues, including on nuclear weapons. The US side also expressed reservations that it expects the Kremlin to provide misleading information about the course of the talks.
The NATO-Russia Council is scheduled to meet in Brussels on Wednesday, and representatives of Russia and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will meet in Vienna on Thursday.
(Source: PAP, Onet, POLITICO)
“Proud creator. Amateur music junkie. Tv scholar. Web fan. Lifelong alcohol lover. Falls down a lot. Hardcore thinker.”