The head of the Russian Foreign Ministry said at a conference on Tuesday after meeting with Rau, who chaired the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe in 2022, that there are many problems within this organization that require urgent solutions and trust among the members of the organization.
Lavrov: It is important to find solutions that are acceptable to all
– The aggressive rhetoric, the confrontational approach, fills our common space, and dominates the spirit of cooperation, About the culture of mutual respect within the OSCE that was appropriate for this organization after its creation, and we all would like to rebuild it.
– Under the current difficult circumstances, the performance of the post of the head of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe is of particular importance, and it is a great responsibility. He said this when the Minister presented the priorities of the Polish presidency at the meeting of the Permanent Council (OSCE) It is important to find solutions that are acceptable to all. I am sure that the presidency should be conducive to a compromise, and the formation of a common approach. In order to do so, one must stick to the president’s mandate and avoid unanimous language, Lavrov declared.
He estimated that Rao “confirmed this approach”.
Among the challenges facing the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe One shot at European securityThey are indivisible and of equal safety to all. First and foremost, it requires an approach to avoiding activities that ensure the safety of some at the expense of others. All this is contained in the documents of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, starting in 1994, when the Code of Conduct in the military-political sphere was adopted, then the Istanbul Charter was adopted in 1999, and in December 2011, the Astana summit was held, where the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry said that The formulation of this principle was unanimous.
– The point now is that these statements must be fulfilled, because they are not Our colleagues in the West are also trying to prove that every country has the right to choose allies. The point is that it cannot be done at the expense of others and they forget about it – added Lavrov.
He said that “in order to clarify the approach of our colleagues who signed these documents, he sent a letter to the foreign ministers of European countries asking them to clarify their understanding of a number of these obligations, which we refer to as the principle of indivisibility of security.” – I hope these content answers will continue, I reminded my colleague (Zbigniew Rau) to do it too – said Lavrov at the conference with Rau.
Lavrov:The most important thing is our dialogue with the United States and NATO
– The most important thing is our dialogue with the United States of America, with NATO, It is through which long-term legal security guarantees are discussed, as they are formulated in the well-known draft agreements that we have presented to Washington “- he said.
– He added that in the absence of progress in talks with NATO and the United States, the talks in Vienna (where the OSCE is based) would be futile and ineffective.
According to the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry, there is great potential in the OSCE. – Therefore, the main topic should be increasing the effectiveness of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe – he said. He stressed the need to find a balance in several areas: including. military, political, environmental and economic.
– We expect that during the Polish presidency it will be possible to talk honestly on all these issues with all member states Lavrov announced. He stressed that Russia is ready to cooperate closely with, among other things, on issues of transnational threats, overcoming the negative effects of the coronavirus epidemic, protecting the rights of national minorities or combating the falsification of history.
– The most important thing is to ensure direct dialogue between Kiev, Donetsk and Lugansk. It is also necessary to ensure that no attention is paid to monitoring the situation; Lavrov emphasized that we expect the operating department of the OSCE mission (in Ukraine) to cooperate with the authorities of Donetsk, Luhansk and the OSCE Permanent Council. He also spoke of the need for the OSCE to take into account the issue of “discrimination against the Russian-speaking minority and the activities of neo-Nazi groups” in Ukraine.
Rao: Dialogue is the best way to get things done.
We are aware of the seriousness of the challenges facing us in the near future. “As the head of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, I would like to stress that we intend to continue our efforts to achieve the fastest and peaceful de-escalation possible,” Rau said during a joint press conference with Lavrov.
– However, we are not under the illusions that fulfill our obligations and A permanent end to this crisis will require a return to settlement talks, political will and constructive commitment on all sides – said the head of Polish diplomacy.
Rao said at a press conference in Moscow, following a meeting with the head of Russian diplomacy, Sergey Lavrov.
According to him, “launching the dialogue platform could improve the performance of the organization itself in the long run.” – However, the effect will depend on the constructive position in the discussions. The minister, who heads the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, stressed the impossibility of predicting this at this stage.
As he indicated, it is only clear that the dialogue should take place “within the framework established by the basic principles of international relations contained in the last chapter of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe in Helsinki.”
– Dialogue is the best way to get things done. I sincerely hope that Russia will share this view. The only way out of the current crisis is diplomacy. Rau said the OSCE can and should be used in efforts to defend peace in Europe.
Russian forces on the border with Ukraine
For weeks, Russian forces have been concentrating on the border with Ukraine. These measures raise serious concerns in Western countries whose leaders believe that there is a risk of military action by the state. Moscow claims that there are no such plans, while demanding guarantees from the United States and NATO not to extend the alliance to Ukraine and to withdraw its infrastructure “from the borders of Russia”.
with regard to Increased tension in the area The governments of Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and Spain have called on their citizens to leave Ukraine and not to travel to that country. Similar messages have already been issued by governments, incl. USA, UK, Latvia, Norway, Japan, Canada and Israel.
On Saturday, for the fourth time since the crisis began, they spoke to each other on the phone US President Joe Biden and Russian President Vladimir Putin. The US administration said the interview was “to the point and professional” but “did not change the basic dynamics of the situation that we have been observing for several weeks.”
In an interview on Sunday with CNN, US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan He stressed that an attack on Ukraine could happen at any time – next week and after the Olympics, which lasted until February 20.
pgo / polsatnews.pl / PAP
“Food practitioner. Music junkie. Avid troublemaker. Hipster-friendly creator. Social media lover. Wannabe pop culture fanatic.”