Sony once again uses CES to reveal the name of its new device – The next generation virtual reality glasses are officially known as “PlayStation VR2”, while consoles are referred to as “PlayStation VR2 Sense”. Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President of Platform Experience, was happy to kick off 2022 with the first hardware information and full specs disclosure.
“PlayStation VR2 takes VR gaming to a whole new level by providing a greater sense of presence and allowing gamers to escape into the gaming world like never before. By wearing a headset and holding the controllers in their hands, players will experience an ever-growing range of experiences never before – Thanks to the creativity of game worlds created by global game developers and the latest technologies used in equipment ”- Hideaki Nishino.
PlayStation VR2 builds on PS5 innovations, providing users with a truly next-generation experience. Players will experience great visuals, new features related to the feel of the game (via consoles), and improved tracking. Everything will be available with one cable.
Sony plans to maintain “visual fidelity” by providing 4K gaming with HDR, a 110-degree field of view, and great viewing. Rumors that the manufacturer is working on an OLED display have been confirmed – Engineers focus on a 2000 x 2040 eye resolution and smooth refresh at 90/120Hz.
PlayStation VR2 will follow the player thanks to the headset – cameras are built into the PlayStation VR2, which will determine the movement and direction of the player, as well as where his sight falls. Users will not need to install external sensors.
He also emphasized ‘new sensory functions’ – PS VR2 Sense combines eyeball tracking, eyeglass feedback, 3D audio and innovative controllers, providing an “incredibly deep immersion” in the gameplay. Sony has added a single vibration motor, which will enhance the sensation and allow you to feel the pulse of the rising hero in difficult moments, the rush of objects flying near his head or the pressure of a car when the character is accelerating.
As insiders reported, the PS VR2 takes into account eyeball movement tracking, and displays “More intuitive interaction in a new and realistic way, enabling increased emotional response and enhanced expression, providing a new level of realism in gaming.”
Sony has also confirmed that PS VR2 Sense consoles will receive haptic vibrations and adaptive triggers, thanks to which players will feel the game more – similar to the PlayStation 5’s DualSense pad.
PlayStation VR2 Specifications
- Display: OLED
- Resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel refresh rate 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens separation: adjustable
- Field of View: Approx. 110°
- Motion sensor: 6-axis motion detection system (three-axis gyro, 3-axis accelerometer)
- Proximity sensor: infrared proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 headset tracking cameras and 1 eye tracking control camera (one for each eye)
- Feedback: Headphone vibration
- Connect to PS5 USB Type-C
- Audio input: built-in microphone. Output: stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Specifications
- Right: PS button, options button, action buttons (circle/intersection), R1 button, R2 button, right analog button/R3 button.
- Left: PS button, create button, action buttons (triangle/square), L1 button, L2 button, left/L3 analog button
- Detection / Tracking: Motion Sensor (6-axis motion detection system (3-axis + 3-axis accelerometer))
- Touch sensor: finger touch detection Infrared LED: position tracking
- Feedback: adaptive actuators (on the R2/L2 button), haptic vibration (by one vibration motor per unit)
- USB Type-C port
- Bluetooth Ver5.1 connection
- Battery type: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
“Devoted organizer. Incurable thinker. Explorer. Tv junkie. Travel buff. Troublemaker.”