The office of Prince Charles and Prince William exchanged this morning the moving messages that senior members of the royal family sent to the royal family in Kuwait in the wake of the Prince’s death. Prince Charles spoke of the kindness the Emir of Kuwait offered him, as well as the terrible loss that the country he has been ruling has suffered since 2006.
His son William shed light on Sheikh Sabah’s work as a diplomat in the Middle East.
The Prince of Wales wrote in a letter dated September 29: “Your Highness, I was deeply saddened when I learned of the death of your dear brother, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, and I especially wanted to convey my sincere friends. Very sad.
“As a leader and humanitarian, the late prince’s wisdom and commitment to peace and stability were so admired, and I can only imagine how deeply many people felt his loss.
“I will always preserve the most special and passionate memories of his late Highness, who will never forget his kindness with me over the course of many years.
“I can only offer my renewed condolences to your Highness, with my warmest wishes, and I assure Your Highness my commitment to the long-standing bonds of friendship and cooperation between our two countries.”
Prince Charles has visited Kuwait twice on behalf of the British government.
He traveled to the country for the first time in 1989 with Princess Diana, during a major tour of the Persian Gulf.
Read more: Prince Charles has been described as “demanding” amidst an incredible “100 wasted eggs”
During their visit, they had a meeting with Sheikh Sabah as well as having lunch together.
The Prince of Wales returned to Kuwait with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, in 2007.
The Duke of Cambridge visited the Middle Eastern country for the first time last year, during a four-day solo tour that also took him to Oman.
do not miss
William expressed his grief over the death of the 91-year-old Emir, saying: “I am sad to hear of the death of His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
“I was honored to meet His Highness during my visit to Kuwait last year, and I know that he will remain eternal in memory of his global humanitarian efforts and his commitment to regional peace.
“I send my deepest condolences to the Kuwaiti people in their condolences on the death of His Highness.”
The messages of Prince Charles and Prince William came after the Queen offered her sympathy to the Kuwaiti people in a personal message that he addressed to the brother of Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah.
Recalling the state visit of Sheikh Sabah to the United Kingdom in 2012, Her Majesty the Queen said: “Your esteemed brother has devoted his life to serving the State of Kuwait, especially its relationship with its allies and friends.
“All those who work for regional stability, understanding between states, between religions and for the humanitarian cause will remain in the minds for a long time,” he said.
“His friendship ran deep into the UK and his unforgettable state visit took place in November 2012.”
Sheikh Sabah died at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, where he was recovering after undergoing surgery in July.