Zator Castle dates back to the mid-fifteenth century. It was built in the Gothic style by the Dukes of Zator. In the first half of the nineteenth century it was rebuilt into a classic palace and it still exists in that form today. In the buildings, the pointed vaults of the ground floor rooms and cellars have been preserved.
Click the “View Gallery” button and move the photos to the right – press the arrow or next button
The most important facts from the history of Zator Castle
Originally, it was a ducal castle with defensive features, the seat of the princes of Zator from the Silesian upper line, and later stars. It was established as the headquarters of Prince Wenceslas in the newly created Duchy of Zator in 1445. The Prince’s brothers financially helped with the construction.
In the 17th century, it was destroyed by the Swedes during the flood. In the 18th century, it became the property of Piotr Dunin, the last star of Zator. At that time, it was partially rebuilt.
A palace in the hands of the Potocki family
Other private owners of the mansion and the Zator estate: Poniatowscy, Tyszkiewicz, Wąsowicz, Potocki.
In 1836 the Potocki family rebuilt and partially restored the palace according to the design of Franciscus Maria Lansi, giving it the look of a romantic residence in the Neo-Gothic style.
In 1945, the People’s Republic of Poland illegally wrested it from its rightful owners. Since 1946 it has been home to the Institute of Animal Science, most recently the Experimental Fishery Station. In the years 1964-1973 it was completely restored.
After the inheritance process in early 2013, the Potocki family’s heirs recovered the castle.
FLESZ – Coronavirus. How to protect yourself from it
“Music specialist. Pop culture trailblazer. Problem solver. Internet advocate.”