Portsmouth and the rest of Hampshire – with the exception of the Isle of Wight – will be on Level 2 alert, “high.”

Read more

Read more

Here are the Covid levels for where you live

This means that while non-essential stores and hospitality companies will be able to reopen, there will be stricter rules in effect than when the county was at Level 1 before the second shutdown.

Record To our public interest bulletins – Get the latest news about the Coronavirus

Record To our public interest bulletins – Get the latest news about the Coronavirus

What you can and cannot do in level 2 areas of coronavirus. Photo: ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP via Getty Images

We’ve gathered everything you need to know about what you can and cannot do in Level 2 from Wednesday:

What are the same rules for all levels?

Across all levels, everyone:

A face covering must be worn in most indoor public places, unless they are an exception

You must follow the rules of meeting others safely

They should attend school or college as usual, unless they are isolated from themselves. Schools, universities, colleges and early years venues remain open at all levels

Walk or bike when possible, planning ahead and avoiding busy times and roads when traveling

– It must follow the limits of grouping at its level except for the specified settings and conditions.

Care home visits can be made in arrangements such as large screens, visitor visits and window visits.

You should not communicate with anyone you do not live with or are not in your support bubble anywhere in the interior, whether at home or in a public place

You must not come into contact with a group of more than 6 people outside, including in a park or public place – this is called “Rule 6”

Businesses and venues can continue to operate in a way that is safe for Coronavirus, other than those that remain closed by law, such as nightclubs.

Pubs and bars should be closed unless they operate as restaurants. The guesthouse can only serve alcoholic drinks with large meals

Hospitality companies selling food or drink for consumption in their places of business should:

Offer table service only in places that sell alcohol

– Close between 11 PM and 5 AM (airport, port, transportation service and highway service area exempt hospitality)

– Stop receiving requests after 10 pm

– Hospitality companies and places that sell food and drink for consumption outside the building can continue to do so after 10 pm as long as it is through delivery, clicking and collecting, or car transportation

– Early closure (11pm) applies to casinos, cinemas, theaters, museums, bowling alleys, amusement arcades, galleries, theme parks, adventure parks and activities, and bingo halls. Cinemas, theaters and concert halls may remain open after 23:00 in order to conclude shows starting before 10 pm

– Public attendance at sporting and commercial events can be resumed for spectators at home and abroad, according to the rules of social communication and limited to whichever is less: 50% capacity, or 2000 people outdoors or 1000 people indoors

Places of worship remain open but you should not mix with people outside your family or support bubble while you are there, unless a legal exception applies

– Weddings and funerals can go ahead with restrictions on the number of attendees – 15 people can attend wedding ceremonies and receptions, 30 people can attend funeral ceremonies, and 15 people can attend associated memorial events such as wakes or stones.

Organized outdoor sports, physical activities and exercise classes can be continued

Organized indoor sports, physical activity, and exercise classes will only be allowed if people can avoid mixing with people they don’t live with (or share a support bubble). There are exceptions to indoor disability sports, sports for educational purposes and supervised sports and physical activity for those under the age of 18, which can take place with the mixing of larger groups.

You may continue to travel to places or facilities that are open, but you should aim to reduce the number of trips you take wherever possible

For international travel, see the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel advice for your destination and a list of travel paths

Letter from editor Mark Waldron

Our trial offer starts at £ 2 a month for the first two months.