When Great Britain left the European Union, the rules for granting a National Insurance Number (NIN) to foreigners changed. The new requirements present a certain obstacle for people who have not had time to apply for settlement of status or begin their work after December 2020. Check which rules apply.
A work permit is necessary to obtain a NIN in Great Britain
After Brexit, you need a British work permit to get a National Insurance Number:
- This can be a settled residence permit or a border worker permit for people who started working in the UK before December 2020.
- Work visa is required for people who did not work in the UK before 2021, for people employed by LTD companies.
Documents required to obtain a work visa in the United Kingdom
To obtain a work visa in Great Britain, you must submit an application with the relevant documents. These are among others:
- Certification from the employer called “Certificate of Sponsorship”
- Employment in an occupation eligible for a visa
- Pay the visa fee (visa up to 3 years – £610, over 3 years £1,220, for EU citizens there is a £55 discount, there are also discounts for a visa for a shortage profession)
- Proven knowledge of English in the form of a completed school in Great Britain at GCSE, A-level, SNQ level 4 or 5, study abroad in English or pass the Secure English Language Test (SELT).
- Biometric passport
Help for companies and LTD managers of NIN
Are you an LTD manager and need help obtaining a visa or NIN? Contact our consultants: +48 12 44 66333
“Music specialist. Pop culture trailblazer. Problem solver. Internet advocate.”