The summer months are coming and for many that means injecting a dash of colour into your life.
And that doesn’t have to stop at your wardrobe – you can have a lot of fun experimenting with hair colour to totally transform your look.
Just take a scroll through Instagram and you’ll be bombarded with a collage of colourful tresses – from soft pastel ice cream shades to bold vivid colours.
But whatever you choose, hair experts claim coloured hair needs a lot of extra TLC – particularly if you’re planning to head out into the sun with your new colourful crowning glory.
So what should you do to protect your dyed hair and to ensure it stays in tip top condition?
Hair experts at L’Oreal claim following these top tips will help to keep your colour fresh and your hair silky, shiny and smooth.
- Wash your hair less frequently – the more you wash, the quicker your colour will fade. Aim for twice a week and if you need to, use dry shampoo on your roots between washes.
- Use the right product – there’s a reason why colour protective shampoo was invented! Low sulphate shampoo helps to wash less colour from your hair.
3. Condition, condition, condition – coloured hair becomes more fragile so intensive conditioning helps to form a protective barrier and help to prevent colour fading.
4. Heat protection – use sprays to reduce heat damage from hairdryers or straighteners and if possible, dry hair naturally.
5. Filter – UV light from the sun can cause havoc on hair colour so try to use hair products with filters in them, particularly if you’re heading into strong sun.
6. Swim smart – if you’re heading to a pool, put conditioner on your hair first and spin it up into a bun to form a protective barrier against harmful chemicals damaging your hair colour.
7. Eat right – feed your hair from the inside out. A diet rich in oily fish, such as salmon or mackerel, will nourish your hair with omega-3 fatty acids, making it shiny and strong. Add some walnuts in to get a hit of vitamin E to help combat dry, brittle post-colour hair.